Brigham Young Projections 2018


These are the latest projections for the Brigham Young. All of these projections for BYU are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/19/2018.

BYU Record and Rankings

Record: 24-11
Projected Final Record: 24.0-11.0

WCC Conference Record: 13-8
Projected Final WCC Record: 13.0-8.0
Projected Final Rank in the WCC: 3

BYU Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 79
RPI Rank: 67
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 1-5 2-1 8-3 13-1
Win % by Tier 0.167 0.667 0.727 0.929

Our current projections give the Brigham Young a 0.0% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 57.4% chance at an NIT bid and a 42.6% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account BYU’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #10 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #11 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 0.0%
NIT #2 Seed 0.0%
NIT #3 Seed 0.0%
NIT #4 Seed 1.6%
NIT #5 Seed 44.2%
NIT #6 Seed 11.6%
NIT #7 Seed 0.0%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the Brigham Young. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

BYU Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/11 348 MS Valley St Home W 91-61
11/15 212 Princeton Away W 65-56
11/18 140 UT Arlington Home L 75-89
11/21 189 Niagara Home W 95-88
11/24 49 Alabama Brooklyn, NY L 59-71
11/25 200 Massachusetts Brooklyn, NY W 68-66
11/29 105 Utah Valley Away W 85-58
12/2 141 Utah St Away W 75-66
12/6 119 Illinois St Home W 80-68
12/9 157 Weber St Salt Lake City, UT W 74-68
12/16 56 Utah Home W 77-65
12/21 237 Idaho St Home W 85-71
12/23 264 TX Southern Home W 73-52
12/28 273 Portland Home W 69-45
12/30 43 St Mary’s CA Home L 64-74
1/4 147 San Francisco Away W 69-59
1/6 186 Pacific Away L 66-67
1/11 292 Pepperdine Home W 83-63
1/13 248 Santa Clara Away W 84-50
1/18 236 Loy Marymount Home W 82-67
1/20 145 San Diego Home W 74-58
1/25 43 St Mary’s CA Away L 62-75
1/27 186 Pacific Home W 80-65
2/1 236 Loy Marymount Away L 69-76
2/3 11 Gonzaga Away L 60-68
2/8 248 Santa Clara Home W 80-58
2/10 147 San Francisco Home W 75-73
2/15 292 Pepperdine Away W 75-70
2/17 145 San Diego Away L 62-75
2/22 273 Portland Away W 72-60
2/24 11 Gonzaga Home L 65-79
3/3 145 San Diego Las Vegas, NV W 85-79
3/5 43 St Mary’s CA Las Vegas, NV W 85-72
3/6 11 Gonzaga Las Vegas, NV L 54-74
3/14 74 Stanford Away L 83-86