Iona Gaels Projections 2019


These are the latest projections for the Iona Gaels. All of these projections for Iona are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 1/20/2019.

Iona Record and Rankings

Record: 6-10
Projected Final Record: 13.4-15.6

MAAC Conference Record: 4-1
Projected Final MAAC Record: 11.4-6.6
Projected Final Rank in the MAAC: 2

Iona Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 227
RPI Rank: 268
NET Rank: 215
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 0-2 0-3 2-2 4-3
Win % by Tier 0.000 0.000 0.500 0.571

Our current projections give the Iona Gaels a 21.0% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 4.4% chance at an NIT bid and a 74.6% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account Iona’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #10 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #11 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 1.6%
NCAA #16 Seed 19.4%
NIT #1 Seed 0.0%
NIT #2 Seed 0.0%
NIT #3 Seed 0.0%
NIT #4 Seed 0.0%
NIT #5 Seed 0.0%
NIT #6 Seed 0.0%
NIT #7 Seed 0.2%
NIT #8 Seed 4.2%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the Iona Gaels. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

Iona Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/9 302 Albany NY Home W 72-68
11/13 176 New Mexico Away L 83-90
11/19 190 Long Beach St Neutral L 85-86
11/21 200 Hartford Neutal W 80-75
11/24 80 Providence Away L 79-91
11/27 150 Ohio Away L 65-89
12/1 52 VA Commonwealth Away L 59-88
12/9 282 Columbia Neutral L 71-74
12/15 140 Princeton Neutral L 81-85
12/22 66 Yale Away L 84-99
12/30 184 Holy Cross Home L 71-78
1/3 265 Monmouth NJ Home W 103-84
1/5 289 Fairfield Home W 94-87
1/11 280 Niagara Away L 90-95
1/13 233 Canisius Away W 88-70
1/18 288 Marist Home W 90-77
1/20 265 Monmouth NJ Away 48.2%
1/25 169 Rider Home 44.5%
1/27 289 Fairfield Away 53.7%
1/31 288 Marist Away 54%
2/2 260 Siena Home 69.5%
2/8 263 Quinnipiac Home 69.5%
2/10 280 Niagara Home 77.7%
2/13 260 Siena Away 45.6%
2/15 314 St Peter’s Home 82.6%
2/19 263 Quinnipiac Away 45.6%
2/22 333 Manhattan Away 62.8%
2/24 233 Canisius Home 63.8%
3/1 169 Rider Away 21.3%