Pitt Panthers Projections 2019


These are the latest projections for the Pitt Panthers. All of these projections for Pittsburgh are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/17/2019.

Pittsburgh Record and Rankings

Record: 14-19
Projected Final Record: 14.0-19.0

ACC Conference Record: 3-15
Projected Final ACC Record: 3.0-15.0
Projected Final Rank in the ACC: 14

Pittsburgh Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 121
RPI Rank: 184
NET Rank: 121
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 1-9 2-5 3-4 8-1
Win % by Tier 0.100 0.286 0.429 0.889

Our current projections give the Pitt Panthers a 0.2% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 4.8% chance at an NIT bid and a 95.0% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account Pittsburgh’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #10 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #11 Seed 0.2%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 0.2%
NIT #2 Seed 0.8%
NIT #3 Seed 0.8%
NIT #4 Seed 0.6%
NIT #5 Seed 1.2%
NIT #6 Seed 1.0%
NIT #7 Seed 0.2%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the Pitt Panthers. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

Pittsburgh Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/6 271 Youngstown St Home W 69-53
11/9 275 VMI Home W 94-55
11/12 243 Troy Home W 84-75
11/15 287 Cent Arkansas Home W 97-71
11/17 300 North Alabama Home W 71-66
11/21 98 St Louis Neutal W 75-73
11/27 34 Iowa Away L 68-69
11/30 160 Duquesne Neutal W 74-53
12/3 303 Niagara Home L 70-71
12/8 77 West Virginia Away L 59-69
12/15 352 MD E Shore Home W 78-43
12/20 220 New Orleans Home W 99-57
12/29 127 Colgate Home W 68-54
1/5 4 North Carolina Home L 60-85
1/9 25 Louisville Home W 89-86
1/12 33 NC State Away L 80-86
1/14 10 Florida St Home W 75-62
1/19 36 Syracuse Away L 63-74
1/22 2 Duke Home L 64-79
1/26 25 Louisville Away L 51-66
1/29 31 Clemson Away L 69-82
2/2 36 Syracuse Home L 56-65
2/5 151 Wake Forest Away L 76-78
2/9 33 NC State Home L 76-79
2/12 119 Boston College Away L 57-66
2/16 17 Virginia Tech Home L 64-70
2/20 99 Georgia Tech Away L 65-73
2/27 31 Clemson Home L 48-62
3/2 1 Virginia Away L 49-73
3/5 84 Miami FL Away L 63-76
3/9 103 Notre Dame Home W 56-53
3/12 119 Boston College Neutal W 80-70
3/13 36 Syracuse Neutral L 59-73