South Dakota Coyotes Projections 2018


These are the latest projections for the South Dakota Coyotes. All of these projections for South Dakota are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/19/2018.

South Dakota Record and Rankings

Record: 26-9
Projected Final Record: 26.0-9.0

Summit Conference Record: 13-4
Projected Final Summit Record: 13.0-4.0
Projected Final Rank in the Summit: 2

South Dakota Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 77
RPI Rank: 91
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 0-5 1-0 4-2 17-1
Win % by Tier 0.000 1.000 0.667 0.944

Our current projections give the South Dakota Coyotes a 0.0% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 18.4% chance at an NIT bid and a 81.6% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account South Dakota’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #10 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #11 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 0.0%
NIT #2 Seed 0.0%
NIT #3 Seed 0.0%
NIT #4 Seed 1.4%
NIT #5 Seed 9.2%
NIT #6 Seed 7.8%
NIT #7 Seed 0.0%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the South Dakota Coyotes. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

South Dakota Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/11 No Rank Mayville St Home W 87-59
11/13 209 Bowling Green Away W 88-79
11/15 22 TCU Away L 71-76
11/18 301 Grambling Home W 84-55
11/20 No Rank Mt Marty Home W 93-54
11/24 207 Southern Miss Sioux Falls, SD W 84-71
11/25 118 N Colorado Sioux Falls, SD L 62-63
11/26 326 Youngstown St Sioux Falls, SD W 81-53
11/30 268 Missouri KC Away W 82-63
12/2 3 Duke Away L 80-96
12/6 151 Drake Home W 93-65
12/10 131 E Washington Home W 75-73
12/14 327 Northern Arizona Away W 90-77
12/17 313 San Jose St Away W 76-62
12/19 41 UCLA Away L 82-85
12/21 No Rank Northland Home W 88-42
12/30 193 Denver Home W 82-71
1/3 271 W Illinois Home W 62-50
1/6 194 N Dakota St Home L 79-84
1/11 176 IPFW Away W 68-58
1/17 224 Oral Roberts Home W 82-70
1/20 282 NE Omaha Away W 85-71
1/24 59 S Dakota St Home W 87-68
1/27 193 Denver Away L 68-84
2/1 271 W Illinois Away W 80-54
2/3 194 N Dakota St Away W 76-72
2/8 176 IPFW Home W 86-69
2/11 No Rank Peru St Home W 98-55
2/14 224 Oral Roberts Away W 85-67
2/17 282 NE Omaha Home W 79-64
2/22 59 S Dakota St Away L 72-76
3/3 282 NE Omaha Sioux Falls, SD W 87-73
3/5 193 Denver Sioux Falls, SD W 76-58
3/6 59 S Dakota St Sioux Falls, SD L 87-97
3/14 211 North Texas Home L 77-90