St. John’s Red Storm Projections 2018


These are the latest projections for the St. John’s Red Storm. All of these projections for St John’s are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/19/2018.

St John’s Record and Rankings

Record: 16-17
Projected Final Record: 16.0-17.0

Big East Conference Record: 5-15
Projected Final Big East Record: 5.0-15.0
Projected Final Rank in the Big East: 9

St John’s Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 70
RPI Rank: 96
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 2-10 4-4 5-1 4-2
Win % by Tier 0.167 0.500 0.833 0.667

Our current projections give the St. John’s Red Storm a 0.6% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 20.8% chance at an NIT bid and a 78.6% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account St John’s’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #10 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #11 Seed 0.6%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 6.6%
NIT #2 Seed 5.0%
NIT #3 Seed 1.2%
NIT #4 Seed 1.2%
NIT #5 Seed 4.8%
NIT #6 Seed 2.0%
NIT #7 Seed 0.0%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the St. John’s Red Storm. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

St John’s Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/10 265 New Orleans Home W 77-61
11/14 295 Central Conn Home W 80-55
11/16 45 Nebraska Home W 79-56
11/20 No Rank Molloy Home W 71-43
11/23 95 Oregon St Kissimmee, FL W 82-77
11/24 42 Missouri Kissimmee, FL L 82-90
11/26 85 UCF Kissimmee, FL W 46-43
12/2 320 Sacred Heart Home W 90-55
12/5 123 Grand Canyon Phoenix, AZ W 68-60
12/8 53 Arizona St Los Angeles, CA L 70-82
12/17 153 Iona Home W 69-59
12/20 120 St Joseph’s PA Uncasville, CT W 77-73
12/28 48 Providence Home L 72-94
12/31 31 Seton Hall Away L 70-75
1/3 28 Creighton Away L 71-78
1/6 106 DePaul Home L 74-91
1/9 93 Georgetown Home L 66-69
1/13 2 Villanova Home L 71-78
1/17 8 Xavier Away L 82-88
1/20 93 Georgetown Away L 89-93
1/23 28 Creighton Home L 63-68
1/27 29 Butler Away L 45-70
1/30 8 Xavier Home L 68-73
2/3 3 Duke Home W 81-77
2/7 2 Villanova Away W 79-75
2/10 47 Marquette Home W 86-78
2/14 106 DePaul Away W 77-76
2/21 47 Marquette Away L 73-85
2/24 31 Seton Hall Home L 74-81
2/28 29 Butler Home W 75-68
3/3 48 Providence Away L 57-61
3/7 93 Georgetown New York, NY W 88-77
3/8 8 Xavier New York, NY L 60-88