Stanford Cardinal Projections 2018


These are the latest projections for the Stanford Cardinal. All of these projections for Stanford are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/19/2018.

Stanford Record and Rankings

Record: 19-15
Projected Final Record: 19.2-15.8

Pac-12 Conference Record: 12-8
Projected Final Pac-12 Record: 12.0-8.0
Projected Final Rank in the Pac-12: 5

Stanford Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 74
RPI Rank: 86
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 2-10 6-1 5-3 5-1
Win % by Tier 0.167 0.857 0.625 0.833

Our current projections give the Stanford Cardinal a 0.0% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 6.4% chance at an NIT bid and a 93.6% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account Stanford’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #10 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #11 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 0.0%
NIT #2 Seed 0.0%
NIT #3 Seed 0.2%
NIT #4 Seed 0.6%
NIT #5 Seed 4.8%
NIT #6 Seed 0.8%
NIT #7 Seed 0.0%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the Stanford Cardinal. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

Stanford Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/10 308 Cal Poly Home W 78-62
11/12 186 Pacific Home W 89-80
11/14 131 E Washington Home L 61-67
11/17 97 Northeastern Home W 73-59
11/20 10 North Carolina Home L 72-96
11/23 23 Florida Portland, OR L 87-108
11/24 19 Ohio St Portland, OR L 71-79
11/26 166 Portland St Portland, OR L 78-87
11/29 73 Montana Home W 70-54
12/3 185 Long Beach St Away L 68-76
12/15 193 Denver Home W 75-62
12/17 147 San Francisco Home W 71-59
12/21 7 Kansas Sacramento, CA L 54-75
12/30 203 California Home L 74-77
1/4 41 UCLA Home W 107-99
1/7 39 USC Home W 77-76
1/11 159 Washington St Away W 79-70
1/13 80 Washington Away W 73-64
1/17 53 Arizona St Home W 86-77
1/20 16 Arizona Home L 71-73
1/24 39 USC Away L 64-69
1/27 41 UCLA Away L 73-89
2/1 95 Oregon St Home W 80-71
2/3 60 Oregon Home W 96-61
2/8 56 Utah Away L 60-75
2/11 90 Colorado Away L 56-64
2/18 203 California Away W 77-73
2/22 80 Washington Home W 94-78
2/24 159 Washington St Home W 86-84
3/1 16 Arizona Away L 67-75
3/3 53 Arizona St Away W 84-83
3/7 203 California Las Vegas, NV W 76-58
3/8 41 UCLA Las Vegas, NV L 77-88
3/14 79 BYU Home W 86-83
3/19 37 Oklahoma St Away 20.8%