Syracuse Orange Projections 2018


These are the latest projections for the Syracuse Orange. All of these projections for Syracuse are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/19/2018.

Syracuse Record and Rankings

Record: 23-13
Projected Final Record: 23.2-13.8

ACC Conference Record: 9-11
Projected Final ACC Record: 9.2-11.8
Projected Final Rank in the ACC: 11

Syracuse Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 54
RPI Rank: 45
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Next 4 Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 4-8 3-3 8-2 5-0
Win % by Tier 0.333 0.500 0.800 1.000

Our current projections give the Syracuse Orange a 11.8% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 88.2% chance at an NIT bid and a 0.0% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account Syracuse’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.6%
NCAA #10 Seed 1.0%
NCAA #11 Seed 7.2%
NCAA #12 Seed 3.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 29.4%
NIT #2 Seed 38.6%
NIT #3 Seed 17.4%
NIT #4 Seed 2.4%
NIT #5 Seed 0.2%
NIT #6 Seed 0.2%
NIT #7 Seed 0.0%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the Syracuse Orange. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

Syracuse Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/10 258 Cornell Home W 77-45
11/14 153 Iona Home W 71-62
11/18 264 TX Southern Home W 80-67
11/20 188 Oakland Home W 74-50
11/22 113 Toledo Home W 72-64
11/27 57 Maryland Home W 72-70
12/2 7 Kansas Miami, FL L 60-76
12/5 136 Connecticut New York, NY W 72-63
12/9 213 Colgate Home W 72-58
12/16 93 Georgetown Away W 86-79
12/19 69 Buffalo Home W 81-74
12/22 61 St Bonaventure Home L 57-60
12/27 142 E Michigan Home W 62-47
12/31 27 Virginia Tech Home W 68-56
1/3 115 Wake Forest Away L 67-73
1/6 52 Notre Dame Home L 49-51
1/9 1 Virginia Away L 61-68
1/13 36 Florida St Away L 90-101
1/16 217 Pittsburgh Home W 59-45
1/24 71 Boston College Home W 81-63
1/27 217 Pittsburgh Away W 60-55
1/31 114 Georgia Tech Away L 51-55
2/3 1 Virginia Home L 44-59
2/5 33 Louisville Away W 78-73
2/11 115 Wake Forest Home W 78-70
2/14 38 NC State Home L 70-74
2/17 30 Miami FL Away W 62-55
2/21 10 North Carolina Home L 74-78
2/24 3 Duke Away L 44-60
2/28 71 Boston College Away L 70-85
3/3 20 Clemson Home W 55-52
3/6 115 Wake Forest Brooklyn, NY W 73-64
3/7 10 North Carolina Brooklyn, NY L 59-78
3/14 53 Arizona St NCAA Tournament Dayton OH W 60-56
3/16 22 TCU NCAA Tournament Detroit, MI W 57-52
3/18 4 Michigan St NCAA Tournament W 55-53
3/23 3 Duke NCAA Tournament Omaha NE 17.8%