Utah Utes Projections 2018


These are the latest projections for the Utah Utes. All of these projections for Utah are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/19/2018.

Utah Record and Rankings

Record: 20-11
Projected Final Record: 20.6-11.4

Pac-12 Conference Record: 11-8
Projected Final Pac-12 Record: 11.0-8.0
Projected Final Rank in the Pac-12: 3

Utah Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 56
RPI Rank: 58
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 3-6 3-4 7-1 6-0
Win % by Tier 0.333 0.429 0.875 1.000

Our current projections give the Utah Utes a 1.6% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 96.8% chance at an NIT bid and a 1.6% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account Utah’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.2%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.2%
NCAA #10 Seed 0.4%
NCAA #11 Seed 0.8%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 0.6%
NIT #2 Seed 2.2%
NIT #3 Seed 13.4%
NIT #4 Seed 66.0%
NIT #5 Seed 14.2%
NIT #6 Seed 0.4%
NIT #7 Seed 0.0%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the Utah Utes. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

Utah Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/10 287 Prairie View Home W 83-62
11/13 348 MS Valley St Home W 91-51
11/16 42 Missouri Home W 77-59
11/20 103 Mississippi Las Vegas, NV W 83-74
11/22 102 UNLV Las Vegas, NV L 58-85
11/24 131 E Washington Home W 85-69
12/2 198 Hawaii Home W 80-60
12/5 29 Butler Away L 69-81
12/9 141 Utah St Salt Lake City, UT W 77-67
12/16 79 BYU Away L 65-77
12/20 345 Northwestern LA Home W 84-62
12/29 60 Oregon Away W 66-56
12/31 95 Oregon St Away W 66-64
1/4 16 Arizona Home L 82-94
1/7 53 Arizona St Home L 77-80
1/11 41 UCLA Away L 64-83
1/14 39 USC Away L 67-84
1/18 80 Washington Home W 70-62
1/21 159 Washington St Home W 82-69
1/25 53 Arizona St Away W 80-77
1/27 16 Arizona Away L 73-74
2/2 90 Colorado Away L 55-67
2/8 74 Stanford Home W 75-60
2/10 203 California Home W 77-43
2/15 80 Washington Away W 70-58
2/17 159 Washington St Away W 77-70
2/22 41 UCLA Home W 84-78
2/24 39 USC Home L 58-74
3/3 90 Colorado Home W 64-54
3/8 60 Oregon Las Vegas, NV L 66-68
3/14 126 UC Davis Home W 69-59
3/19 62 LSU Home 61.8%