Virginia Tech Hokies Projections 2018


These are the latest projections for the Virginia Tech Hokies. All of these projections for Virginia Tech are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/19/2018.

Virginia Tech Record and Rankings

Record: 21-12
Projected Final Record: 21.0-12.0

ACC Conference Record: 10-9
Projected Final ACC Record: 10.0-9.0
Projected Final Rank in the ACC: 7

Virginia Tech Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 27
RPI Rank: 62
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: 8 Seed

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 5-7 3-3 5-1 8-0
Win % by Tier 0.417 0.500 0.833 1.000

Our current projections give the Virginia Tech Hokies a 98.4% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 1.6% chance at an NIT bid and a 0.0% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account Virginia Tech’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.2%
NCAA #6 Seed 6.8%
NCAA #7 Seed 27.6%
NCAA #8 Seed 28.2%
NCAA #9 Seed 22.6%
NCAA #10 Seed 9.4%
NCAA #11 Seed 3.0%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.6%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 1.2%
NIT #2 Seed 0.4%
NIT #3 Seed 0.0%
NIT #4 Seed 0.0%
NIT #5 Seed 0.0%
NIT #6 Seed 0.0%
NIT #7 Seed 0.0%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the Virginia Tech Hokies. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

Virginia Tech Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/10 325 Detroit Home W 111-79
11/12 294 Citadel Home W 132-93
11/16 138 St Louis New York, NY L 71-77
11/17 80 Washington New York, NY W 103-79
11/21 344 Houston Bap Home W 99-73
11/25 290 Morehead St Home W 96-63
11/28 100 Iowa Home W 79-55
12/2 103 Mississippi Away W 83-80
12/6 173 Radford Home W 95-68
12/10 349 MD E Shore Home W 93-40
12/16 17 Kentucky Away L 86-93
12/19 328 Presbyterian Home W 63-55
12/28 285 NC A&T Home W 76-59
12/31 54 Syracuse Away L 56-68
1/3 1 Virginia Home L 52-78
1/6 217 Pittsburgh Home W 81-67
1/10 115 Wake Forest Away W 83-75
1/13 33 Louisville Away L 86-94
1/20 36 Florida St Home L 82-91
1/22 10 North Carolina Home W 80-69
1/27 52 Notre Dame Away W 80-75
1/31 71 Boston College Away W 85-80
2/3 30 Miami FL Home L 75-84
2/7 38 NC State Home W 85-75
2/10 1 Virginia Away W 61-60
2/14 3 Duke Away L 52-74
2/17 114 Georgia Tech Away W 76-56
2/21 20 Clemson Home W 65-58
2/24 33 Louisville Home L 68-75
2/26 3 Duke Home W 64-63
3/3 30 Miami FL Away L 68-69
3/7 52 Notre Dame Brooklyn, NY L 65-71
3/15 49 Alabama NCAA Tournament Pittsburgh PA L 83-86