West Virginia Mountaineers Projections 2019


These are the latest projections for the West Virginia Mountaineers. All of these projections for West Virginia are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 3/17/2019.

West Virginia Record and Rankings

Record: 14-20
Projected Final Record: 14.0-20.0

Big 12 Conference Record: 4-14
Projected Final Big 12 Record: 4.0-14.0
Projected Final Rank in the Big 12: 10

West Virginia Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 77
RPI Rank: 109
NET Rank: 105
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: Out

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 3-13 3-5 3-2 5-0
Win % by Tier 0.188 0.375 0.600 1.000

Our current projections give the West Virginia Mountaineers a 9.4% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 22.2% chance at an NIT bid and a 68.4% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account West Virginia’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.2%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #10 Seed 2.2%
NCAA #11 Seed 6.4%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.6%
NCAA #13 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #14 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.0%
NIT #1 Seed 5.0%
NIT #2 Seed 4.8%
NIT #3 Seed 2.6%
NIT #4 Seed 2.6%
NIT #5 Seed 2.0%
NIT #6 Seed 4.0%
NIT #7 Seed 1.2%
NIT #8 Seed 0.0%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the West Virginia Mountaineers. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

West Virginia Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/9 18 Buffalo Home L 94-99
11/15 261 Monmouth NJ Neutal W 71-53
11/16 105 WKU Neutral L 57-63
11/18 178 St Joseph’s PA Neutal W 97-90
11/24 209 Valparaiso Home W 88-76
11/28 225 Rider Home W 92-78
12/1 271 Youngstown St Home W 106-72
12/4 29 Florida Neutral L 56-66
12/8 121 Pittsburgh Home W 69-59
12/16 129 Rhode Island Neutral L 70-83
12/22 115 Jacksonville St Home W 74-72
12/30 159 Lehigh Home W 78-68
1/2 11 Texas Tech Home L 59-62
1/5 40 Texas Away L 54-61
1/9 20 Kansas St Away L 69-71
1/12 76 Oklahoma St Home L 77-85
1/15 43 TCU Away L 67-98
1/19 15 Kansas Home W 65-64
1/21 44 Baylor Home L 73-85
1/26 3 Tennessee Away L 66-83
1/30 23 Iowa St Away L 68-93
2/2 37 Oklahoma Home W 79-71
2/4 11 Texas Tech Away L 50-81
2/9 40 Texas Home L 53-75
2/16 15 Kansas Away L 53-78
2/18 20 Kansas St Home L 51-65
2/23 44 Baylor Away L 75-82
2/26 43 TCU Home W 104-96
3/2 37 Oklahoma Away L 80-92
3/6 23 Iowa St Home W 90-75
3/9 76 Oklahoma St Away L 77-85
3/13 37 Oklahoma Neutal W 72-71
3/14 11 Texas Tech Neutal W 79-74
3/15 15 Kansas Neutral L 74-88