Winthrop Eagles Projections 2018


These are the latest projections for the Winthrop Eagles. All of these projections for Winthrop are based on our proprietary ratings and data that is known to be predictive. This page was last updated on 2/19/2018.

Winthrop Record and Rankings

Record: 18-9
Projected Final Record: 19.4-9.6

Big South Conference Record: 12-4
Projected Final Big South Record: 13.4-4.6
Projected Final Rank in the Big South: 1

Winthrop Bracket Projections and Tournament Resume

DRatings Overall Rank: 138
RPI Rank: 139
Current NCAA Bracket Projection: 16 Seed

Starting in the 2017-2018 season, the NCAA tournament committee will begin to use the “tier system” to help determine tournament bids. In prior years, the four buckets were based on wins and losses against the RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 201+. Now, the tier system accounts for the home, neutral and away site variable.

Tier 1: vs. RPI 1-30 (home), vs. RPI 1-50 (neutral site), vs. RPI 1-75 (away)
Tier 2: vs. RPI 31-75 (home), vs. RPI 51-100 (neutral site), vs. RPI 76-135 (away)
Tier 3: vs. RPI 76-160 (home), vs. RPI 101-200 (neutral site), vs. RPI 136-240 (away)
Tier 4: vs. RPI 161+ (home), vs. RPI 201+ (neutral site), vs. RPI 240+ (away)

Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4
Record 0-2 1-0 2-5 11-2
Win % by Tier 0.000 1.000 0.286 0.846

Our current projections give the Winthrop Eagles a 40.0% chance to make the NCAA Tournament as conference champions or through an at-large bid. We project them to have a 28.8% chance at an NIT bid and a 31.2% chance of missing both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. Note that the predictions below take into account Winthrop’s future schedule and prior results and are not necessarily based on where the team currently stands. The seed probabilities are based on a result from five hundred simulations. These simulations use all the rules for NCAA seeding, i.e. conference champions get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament, regular season champions get an auto bid to the NIT, etc.

Seed Probability
NCAA #1 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #2 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #3 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #4 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #5 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #6 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #7 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #8 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #9 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #10 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #11 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #12 Seed 0.0%
NCAA #13 Seed 1.2%
NCAA #14 Seed 18.0%
NCAA #15 Seed 20.2%
NCAA #16 Seed 0.6%
NIT #1 Seed 0.0%
NIT #2 Seed 0.0%
NIT #3 Seed 0.0%
NIT #4 Seed 0.0%
NIT #5 Seed 0.0%
NIT #6 Seed 0.0%
NIT #7 Seed 18.2%
NIT #8 Seed 10.6%

Below is the current schedule and future game projections for the Winthrop Eagles. If a game has not been played yet, then the “result” of the game is replaced with the “win probability”.

Winthrop Schedule and Game Projections

Date Oppo Rank Opponent Location Result Score
11/10 105 S Illinois Home L 66-81
11/14 204 Colorado St Away L 76-80
11/18 No Rank Central Penn Home W 106-65
11/21 No Rank Mars Hill Home W 104-49
11/24 8 Auburn Away L 85-119
11/26 338 S Carolina St Home W 86-61
11/29 111 Furman Away W 93-74
12/2 No Rank Reinhardt Home W 107-76
12/5 58 Georgia Away L 82-87
12/16 341 Alabama St Away W 88-80
12/19 128 VA Commonwealth Away L 55-69
12/30 236 High Point Home W 76-60
1/3 185 Radford Away L 79-85
1/6 240 Campbell Away L 77-88
1/9 199 Liberty Home L 70-73
1/12 265 Charleston So Away W 64-53
1/15 281 Gardner Webb Home W 90-67
1/18 173 UNC Asheville Home W 85-58
1/21 317 Presbyterian Away W 81-68
1/24 336 Longwood Away W 95-78
1/27 240 Campbell Home W 75-64
2/1 199 Liberty Away L 61-77
2/3 185 Radford Home W 75-57
2/7 317 Presbyterian Home W 63-49
2/10 236 High Point Away W 82-70
2/15 281 Gardner Webb Away W 90-71
2/18 336 Longwood Home W 79-64
2/22 173 UNC Asheville Away 55.5%
2/24 265 Charleston So Home 86.6%